One of the main problems with getting SmartLink to operate properly and to pass the SmartLink network test to get a green circle is the network where the FLEX-6000 is located has multiple routers that are performing network address translation (NAT) know as "double NATing" or "multiple NATing". SmartLink only works properly when there is only one router between the FLEX-6000 and the Internet doing NAT also known as "single NATing".
A quick way to determine if you have a multiple NAT situation is to use a network tool included with Windows called Traceroute (tracert.exe) This tool will record the IP address of each router as a packet makes it way to the traceroute destination. If there are more than one private IP addresses listed as the first two "hops" in the traceroute output, you have a multiple NAT situation.
A private IP address can have the following pattern where "x" is a number from 0 - 255
Here is how to run Traceroute
From PC used to access the FLEX-6000 on your local network, open Command Prompt and run a Traceroute to Google
- Press the ' Windows Key ' on your Keyboard or click the ' Start ' Button
- Type ' CMD ' and press ' Enter '
- In the ' Command Prompt ' window type your desired destination;
- tracert -d 220.127.116.11
Make a Screen Capture of the Command Window and Attach it to your HelpDesk ticket
- Click on the Command window you want to take a screen capture. Make sure it’s in the foreground and not behind other open apps.
- Press Alt + Print Screen.
- Open MS Paint (the fastest way to do this is entering "paint" in the search box and select it).
- Press ctrl + v.
- This will paste the screen capture of the open window in Paint. You can save the screen capture anywhere you like.
- The attach it to this ticket as an attachment.
Below is an output from a successful traceroute that is not multiple NATed
C:\Users\HomePC>tracert -d 18.104.22.168
Tracing route to 22.214.171.124 over a maximum of 30 hops
1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.1
2 1 ms 1 ms <1 ms 126.96.36.199
3 <1 ms 1 ms 1 ms 188.8.131.52
4 11 ms 11 ms 12 ms 184.108.40.206
5 11 ms 11 ms 11 ms 220.127.116.11
6 11 ms 11 ms 10 ms 18.104.22.168
7 11 ms 11 ms 11 ms 22.214.171.124
8 11 ms 11 ms 11 ms 126.96.36.199